Advanced Search Help
- You can explore the collections by searching by people, maker, place, date or type of object.
- A word entered in the search box will return results only from that field of the collection database
- Most general data about our objects has been recorded in the Description field.
- Use the Choose an option link to access the indexes. Select a term by double clicking on it.
- Only the first 3000 records that match the search criteria will be retrieved
- You can combine a search within a date range with words entered in other fields to narrow it down
- When you have chosen all your search criteria, click on Search
- Results are shown in alphabetical order by object name.
- The values in Categories each have a prefix denoting the museum, so those beginning NMeM are from the National Media Museum, NRM, the National Railway Museum and SCM from the Science Museum Collections
- Place names are recorded in a hierarchy. If you search on a nation, such as Japan, you will find all objects with a link to Japan. Linked Place will show a link other than the place where an object was made, such as used or depicted.
- Please note: the type of objects you will find are, for example, ‘television’, ‘camera’, ‘locomotive’ or ‘poster’. Two-dimensional works of art included in the database have been categorised as a ‘print’, ‘drawing’ or ‘painting’